Saturday, September 3, 2011

Casting "HOW TO FLIRT WITH A NAKED WEREWOLF"



I love casting the characters for my books in my head before I start writing. It really helps me visualize the scenes and helps me narrow down the characters' voices. Last night, I stumbled across this extremely funny post on Fantasy Casting about the fantasy line-up if HOW TO FLIRT WITH A NAKED WEREWOLF was ever made into a movie.

For the full post, click here. This is a really funny blog and I can't believe I haven't found it before now.

The webmistress, Gina, wants to know how close she was with her guesses, and so I give you MY fantasy cast. Keep in mind that the actors may not match the exact physical appearance described in the book. I was going for overall build and facial structure and "vibe."


CHARACTER: Cooper
GINA'S GUESS: Collin Ferrell
MY CHOICE: Steven Strait.


The Collin Ferrell guess was close for reasons you'll see later. I thought Steven Strait (The Covenant, 10,000 BC) had that manly, but not scary, feel. He has a gorgeous smile, good comic timing, plus he can pull angst off pretty well.

But Collin Ferrell would have worked. Or the alternative of Hugh Jackman, but I'd already used him for Monroe in AND ONE LAST THING. I didn't want to double dip!


CHARACTER: Mo
GINA'S GUESS: Liv Tyler
MY CHOICE: Anne Hathaway



I love Anne Hathway. She's sturdy. She can pull off the Southern drawl and sarcasm, but she still has that ethereal, other-worldly quality I had in mind for Mo.

But Liv Tyler definitely would have worked, looks wise. I don't know if I can hear her sweet soft voice saying Mo's dirtier lines.

By the way, all of my dirtiness is ENTIRELY necessary, Gina!


CHARACTER: Evie
GINA'S GUESS: Connie Ray
MY CHOICE: Catherine Keener


I like Connie Ray just fine, but Gina was way off with this one.


CHARACTER: Buzz
GINA'S GUESS: Brian Dennehy
MY CHOICE: Brian Haley


Haley's head is perfectly squared off, exactly what I had in mind for Buzz.
I can see Dennehy playing Buzz thirty years in the future, though.


CHARACTER: Maggie, Cooper's sister
GINA'S GUESS: Cobie Smulders
MY CHOICE: Mila Kunis



I like Cobie Smulders from How I Met Your Mother. But she's not quite tough enough for Maggie. Mila Kunis is small and fierce and I can see her attacking Cooper quite effectively.

For the record, her love interest, Nick, from THE ART OF SEDUCING A NAKED WEREWOLF, would be played by Charlie Hunnam.


CHARACTER: Samson
GINA'S GUESS: Alan Ritchson
MY CHOICE: Ryan Hurst


I'd never heard of Alan Ritchson, but good LORD, those are some nice abs!


I pictured Samson as more of a big burly, non-threatening lovable goof. Ryan Hurst played those until he joined the Sons of Anarchy cast and was suddenly a big badass.


CHARACTER: Leonard Tremblay
GINA'S GUESS: Steve Buscemi
MY CHOICE: David Arquette, a really scuzzy version of David Arquette


I think in this case, Gina's choice is better than mine! Especially when you considering this picture:


CHARACTER:Eli
GINA'S GUESS: Jake Gyllenhaal
MY CHOICE: COLLIN FERRELL!



I know! She was so close! But I pictured Eli as someone who could be a "good upright citizen" but had a feeling of barely restrained power about him. Jake Gyllenhaal is great, but will always be a cute teenager in my eyes.

Thanks to Gina, for considering my book so carefully. I had a lot of fun with this.

SO, discussion, do the rest of you do fantasy casting for your favorite books? If so, I'd like to hear some ideas.

For the record, I found all of these pictures on Google Images. I do not own the photos. No copyright infringement is intended.

13 comments:

Gina said...

Haha! I really did just picture Buzz and Evie as being a lot older! I'm sure you're very clear about their ages, but it's just one of those things you get in your head and just can't get out, you know?

You are such a good sport for playing along and correcting me :) Thank you!

gds said...

I think you are right on with your choices, especially Anne Hathaway. She could really pull off Mo.

Molly Harper said...

No, no! It's not a correction! I loved that you did this. I just thought you'd want to compare and contrast.

Gina said...

I LOVE the compare and contrast! This is cool :)

Squeak - MamaMouse said...

I love the Steve Strait picture it is awesome! It would be hard to choose between Colin Farrel and Steve Strait. They actually have a lot of similarities. It would be tuff to choose between them, but I would be willing to come to the dress-undress rehearsal just to watch them audition and help you drool ... I mean decide! ;-)

Steve Buscemi is just a funny guy and think he would make a great Leonard Trembly. Especially in that hillbilly hot tub picture on Gina's page.

Dorothy
http://alaskanbookie.blogspot.com/
Twitter --> @akchocoholic

DANI HARPER said...

Great choices, especially Maggie, Cooper and Nick!

Jennie said...

I totally get (and agree w/) the choice of Steve Strait. While I haven't seen either of the movies referenced, he was also in Sky High (the super hero teen movie). His character was the son of a superhero (his mom) and a supervillen. He was a bad boy with heart (although reluctant to show it). He would be perfect!

Jagna18 said...

Can you do casting for the "Nice Girls" series?

Molly Harper said...

Jagna, are you sure this doesn't make me look like a wacko? (With really high hopes)

Jagna18 said...

Nah, imaginary casting is just fun. It's interesting to see who the author imagines looks like the characters she created,and whether the mental picture you as the reader created is even close!

See, I'm the nerd here.

By the way, will the next Jane book have arcs?

Alisha (MyNeedToRead) said...

What a fun post. ^__^ May I ask if there was/is a particular figure in mind for Alan Dahling (and Kara Reynolds)?

I must say, for Alan, Cary Elwes (circa the mid 90s) comes to my mind most immediately. ^_^

Molly Harper said...

Alisha, that's so funny! I never considered Cary Elwes, but I love him!

I pictured Alexander Skarsgaard as Alan and Robin Tunney as Kara. Even though Robin Tunney isn't blond.

Stephanie said...

So, as I was listening to (yet again) The Art of Seducing a Naked Werewolf, I was struck by the fact that Nick really should be played by Chris Hemsworth (he played Thor)...totally fits the viking description.